The sixth grade class of St. Joan of Arc School studies Ancient Egypt in a variety of ways. The unit begins with an overview of Ancient Egypt via films and the text book. From these, students generate ideas for further study. The phases of the unit proceed as follows:
- Study of the geography using giant maps.
- Text reading, questions, guided reviews.
- Independent Research: Students research a topic and create a 3 dimensional model.
- On-line scavenger hunt answering questions about mummies.
- Time permitting, hands - on activities such as, Making Paper, Mummifying Carrots, and writing in Hieroglyphics.
Please visit the Research Paper/Model descriptions and rubrics section for a complete description of the research paper and model requirements.